The recruiting industry is as competitive and demanding as it’s ever been. It takes in-depth market knowledge and a solid process to discover hidden talent, especially when it comes to construction recruiting. Through the years, recruiters have come up with some pretty interesting quotes to describe the different aspects of recruiting and hiring. Here are some of the most insightful and humorous quotes about recruiting from my own firm, my recruiting colleagues, and some of the greatest business minds out there.
Quotes from Me, My Team, and Other Recruiters
- “Time kills deals.” It’s such as well-known saying because it’ short and to the point. Dragging your feet during the hiring process is a sure-fire way to kill a deal. And recruiters and smart leaders know this. A slow process, especially in this candidate-driven market, means candidates are more likely to go elsewhere if the process drags on or they are left in the dark.
- “Candidates are like ice sculptures in 90-degree weather.” I use this saying often with my team, because given the high demand for talent, along with the labor shortage, the best candidates aren’t going to last long out there.
- “Kill a deal and kill it early.” If you have a tire kicker, then get rid of them early. You should know pretty quickly where the candidate stands by asking the right questions and understanding what they want and what motivates them. Don’t wait several weeks, while eliminating everyone else, and then pull them out of the running. You risk having to start all over again, an error that quickly becomes very costly. Market masters know this saying very well.
- “If a candidate can’t tell you why the recruiter’s opportunity is better than the role they have today, then it isn’t.” It’s important to remember that candidates should be able to express in their own words what they think of an opportunity and whether it’s better than what they already have. You shouldn’t have to convince them of anything.
- “Companies are a lot like sports teams, the team with the best players normally wins.” I use this saying on a regular basis to remind my team that acquiring great talent takes a competitive mindset, similar to that of successful sports franchises. From the Golden State Warriors to the Houston Astros, companies should never stop looking for their next all-star, even if they already have a roster full of them.
Recruiting and Hiring Quotes from Great Business Minds
- “Don’t hire for the sake of hiring, hire because there is no other way to do what you want to do.” The former chairman and CEO of GE, Jack Welch, was a strong proponent of making hiring and onboarding talent the top priority.
- “Hiring the right people takes time, the right questions, and a healthy dose of curiosity.” Richard Branson used this strategy to build Virgin Group into a multibillion dollar conglomerate.
- “You need to have a collaborative hiring process.” There’s a reason why Apple has remained at the top for so many years. Steve Jobs had a team-oriented approach to acquiring the best talent in the industry.
- “Get the right people on the bus, then figure out where to put them.” Best-selling author, Jim Collins stresses the importance of hiring the right candidates, but also ensuring that they are in just the right positions for future success.
- “You can have the best strategy and the best building in the world, but if you don’t have the hearts and minds of the people who work with you, none of it comes to life.” Renee West, the President and COO of both Luxor and Excalibur made this insightful statement. Recruit people who believe in your company’s mission and overall business philosophy to achieve the most success.
How can we help you?
Are you a hiring authority needed construction talent? Submit a search request today.–