It may be hard to have a detailed description of the employee you are hiring prior to the interview process. This is why some business organizations, not only construction companies, should use behavioral questions to have better insight into whom they are giving their work to.
It is important for construction companies to evaluate the technical expertise of their potential employees through behavioral questions. And since construction companies dwell on complex projects that require excellent industry knowledge, behavioral questions help employers to assess the strengths of their potential employee before accepting his application.
Overall, below are few behavioral questions that construction companies can use while hiring a hardworking talent.
Questions on Time Management
This is one of the most important aspects of the hiring process. When you ask some questions about the time management skills of a potential employee, it allows you to know if such a worker can handle multiple tasks and complete tasks before deadlines. Some of these questions are outlined below:
- When you are in the process of completing multiple tasks before deadlines, how can you schedule your time for each task?
- Has there been any situation you nearly missed a deadline on a key project? How did you manage to complete the task in such tight situation?
- Have you ever handled a long-term project or big task? Describe how you delivered the job successfully.
Questions on Teamwork within the Construction Companies
Construction companies work on big projects. These big projects consist of a group of architects or engineers who work together for a common purpose. Therefore, it is equally important to know if your potential employee can work hand-in-hand with your team members to complete tasks successfully.
During the interview session, your questions should also aim towards identifying the strength of the potential employee to work with the team.
- Explain how you worked with your former team members on a construction project. What were the steps you took to achieve good results?
- Were you able to contribute meaningfully to the team? Explain the innovations or decisions you made that produced amazing results?
Questions on Communication Skills
Many construction companies rely on communication to explain their projects or work to the team members. Similarly, a team member depends on communication to send their messages or contributions to another team member.
Since communication is important, you should prepare some questions to know if the potential employee has good communication skills.
- If your team is driving towards loss, describe how you can communicate with your team members to address the situation.
- Have you ever been criticized for the decisions you made on a project? How did you manage to defend your position and win the hearts of your team members?
Questions on Leadership Skills
Good leadership is a result-oriented strategy. It is what every company needs to create a good atmosphere among the team members. A company with poor leadership will swim in the pool of conflict and loss.
The above reasons are enough to explain why you should know if your potential worker has good leadership skills by asking him some questions stated below.
- Give an account of the practical ways you can deploy to solve a conflict among your team members.
- If your co-workers have different views about a project, how can you handle such a situation without any hassle?
- Imagine one of your workers goes against your plan while you are working on a construction project, what are the steps you will take to tackle such a situation?
The construction industry demands a lot from its workers. Hence, it is crucial to be thorough with your interview so you can recruit the best talents that are motivated for the job. And an effective way to do that is by using behavioral questions such as the ones listed above.
How can we help you?
Searching for an opportunity in the construction industry? Contact The Birmingham Group’s team of seasoned commercial construction recruiters today to discuss your career path or browse our open positions.
Are you a hiring authority in need of construction talent? Submit a search request today.–