No matter the size of your construction project, you’ll need the right team to get the job done. But finding and hiring construction talent can be a daunting task. How do you identify the key players for your project? And how can you be sure they’re the best fit for your team? Here are some tips to help you find and keep top construction talent.
Construction companies looking to hire new talent or keep the team they have together now have tools they may not have considered before that will help make that process more successful. The first step is understanding what to look for when identifying potential candidates whether it is during pre-construction or interviewing on-site.
Skills to Look For
The construction industry is ever-changing, and construction companies must be proactive in finding workers with the latest skills. There are a number of ways to identify these skills, including:
- Asking current employees which skills are most in demand
- Speaking with professional associations and industry groups
- Checking job postings to see what skills are most commonly required
Once you’ve identified the skills you need, the next step is to find candidates who have them.
How to Find Great Candidates
There are a number of ways to find these candidates, including:
- Online job boards: Posting jobs on online job boards is a great way to reach a large pool of potential candidates. When creating your job posting, be sure to include key skills that you’re looking for.
- Networking: Attend industry events and meetups to network with potential candidates. You can also connect with employees at other construction companies to see if they know anyone
- Work with a recruiter: Recruiters specialize in finding candidates with the specific skills and experience you’re looking for. They offer you a pool of candidates to choose from and each candidate is thoroughly vetted with your company in mind.
Motivation: A Key Component
A key component of any construction team is motivation. When interviewing candidates, be sure to ask questions that will give you insight into their work ethic and motivation levels. It is also important to find individuals who will mesh well with your existing team. When conducting interviews, pay attention to the candidate’s personality and whether they would be a good fit for your company culture.
Once you’ve identified the key players for your construction project, the next step is to keep them on your team. Here are a few tips for retaining your top talent.
How to Retain Top Construction Talent
Offer competitive compensation: In order to retain your top talent, it is important to offer competitive compensation. This includes not only wages but also benefits and bonuses. You can access our salary guide here.
Foster a positive work environment: Another way to keep your team together is to foster a positive work environment. This means providing adequate resources, clear communication, and mutual respect among team members.
Offer opportunities for growth: Finally, offer your team members opportunities for growth within the company. This could include training programs, mentorship opportunities, and career advancement.
By following these tips, you can be sure to find and retain the top talent for your construction project. With the right team in place, you can confidently move forward with your project knowing that it is in good hands.
How Can We Help You?
Searching for an opportunity in the construction industry? Contact The Birmingham Group’s team of seasoned commercial construction recruiters today to discuss your career path or browse our open positions.
Are you a hiring authority in need of construction talent? Submit a search request today